Facilitation of Involuntary HospitalizationIf someone you know has a mental illness that is impacting their ability to care for themselves and you feel further psychiatric evaluation would help, then you may come to SAMHC to complete an Application for Involuntary Evaluation. In Pima County, SAMHC is the screening agency for Applications for Involuntary Evaluation, otherwise known as Pre-Petitions. This process may be started by any responsible individual, e.g., friend, family member, law enforcement, etc. Some examples of when a petition could be helpful include when someone's mental health symptoms impact their ability or willingness to care for their personal hygiene, care for their home, manage their medications, manage their finances, or make other everyday decisions.
We can help guide you through the application process and answer questions that you may have. SAMHC staff are here 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm to assist you with this. SAMHC staff my also provide services including:
• Assisting the applicant in completing required documentation, when necessary;
• Interviewing the individual about whom the allegations have been made (when possible);
• Discussing/Staffing case information with the SAMHC Medical Director or designee;
• Coordinating with Pima County Attorney's Office as needed; and
• Giving testimony in Court-Ordered Treatment determination hearings when requested to do so by Pima County Attorney's Office.